Saturday, September 7, 2013

Why Am I Taking This MOOC?

  1. What is your intention for this workshop (why are you here)?
  2. What issues do you think are important?
  3. How will you contribute?
  4. How would you like to see community develop among participants?
  5. These types of workshops are new for most people. In fact  about 90% don’t even participate. How will you overcome the fear of learning in the open and the frustration of using new technology, courageously work through any setbacks, and not give up?

I decided to try this workshop to see if I could use some of the ideas in my own teaching career.  I would like to learn how to communicate using web tools, and see if some of these methods could be incorporated as part of my own class.

One issue I find, is that online courses for high school students do not exist on Guam.  Yet, these are the students who need the training in learning to use technology responsibly, communicating ideas, and looking for answers to their queries.  The online environment can be daunting for many users, students (including myself) need to be able to avoid information overload, learn to narrow down searches, and in essence, use the web to harness its powers, rather than let the web become overpowering.

I hope to contribute more than I have already.  I think I am a little behind in the posts, but intend to try harder to keep up.  I was confused about the blackboard and web conferencing.  I am not sure if I will need to use the conferencing feature, since most of the times available are times I will be teaching and unable to attend.  I would like to try the blackboard instant messaging, so if someone in class is online, then we can use the feature to discuss ideas.

I am not sure how a  community will develop.  I hope that some one with knowledge on how set up online courses for high school students can help me out with ideas.  I would like to propose some of these ideas to my district office to see if it is viable for our island.

I am ever conscious of where I work, so I always must be careful with the language that I choose in referencing my job.  It is always safer to say how much I love it, rather than use any post to communicate dissatisfaction.  Other than that, most viewers of this post will be others who are also interested in the same things I am interested in, so I do not worry too much about participating.

I am quite shy, I would not post a picture of myself, neither will I offer any personal information, like my age and things like that.  I will say that the new technology can be sometimes daunting, I try my best to figure it out; I need to know how to use these tools in order to teach in the future.  Either to incorporate new ways to communicate with students right now, or to get a job teaching online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome